top of page



There are unfortunate times when parents are simply unable to care for their children. These may be instances where a parent is having legal problems or issues with substance abuse. When a parent cannot meet the needs of a child then Nevada’s legal process allows a non-parent to step in and receive guardianship over a child. The courts, however, do not grant guardianship lightly and if one is considering attempting to become a Las Vegas child’s guardian then they should contact a lawyer immediately.


Contested guardianships often arise when a concerned party wishes to gain guardianship over a child due to parental neglect. If a parent is unable to meet the needs of the child then the first step is to file a Petition for Guardianship. The Court will hold a “Show Cause” hearing shortly after the Petition is filed and, at this hearing, the Court will decide whether a temporary guardianship should be issued and may set a future hearing to determine if a more permanent guardianship should be put in place.




There are many instances where a parent may consent to guardianship of a child. A parent needing to leave town for an extended period of time may need to leave his or her child in someone’s care. An illness may cause one to place his or her child in another’s custody for a period of time. These are just two of many examples in which a consensual guardianship can give a non-parent the authority to care for a child. Such a guardianship will allow the new parent to enroll the child in school, to obtain medical care for the child, and to engage in other responsibilities of caring for the child. Consensual guardianships can typically be handled quickly.




Longevity in senior adults has increased the number of guardianship Las Vegas issues. Typically, guardianship for adults is based on the premise of appointed care or management of affairs by a Las Vegas court approved guardian. This is especially true in cases where adults are rendered wards of the state. Many guardians are unprepared for the myriad issues affairs of their wards create. Parents, siblings or other adults who have been incapacitated need a guardian who can manage their affairs without expectation of financial benefit from their role of guardian.


Contact our office online or at (702) 686-3371 to schedule a consultation with attorney Soraya Veiga.


bottom of page